23.8.08

To Color Scarlet.

Scientific American 9, 25.2.1865

A correspondent of the Prairie Farmer thus speaks of her method of dyeing scarlet. Similar recipes have been frequently published in the SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, but there are, doubtless, new readers who will be glad to learn the process:-

"Take one oz. cochineal, two oz. solution of tin, one half oz. cream of tartar. Take soft water enough to cover the goods, and make it boil, then add the cochineal. In five minutes after put in the solution to tin, and in five minutes more put in the cream tartar; ten in five minutes more put in the goods, and boil till the water is clear. This is intended for one pound of yarn. Tin or brass kettle should be used.

"For coloring green, I put 2oz. indigo into 4oz. oil vitriol (sulphuric acid), about two weeks before I want to color; shake well every day. When ready for coloring, I make a strong decoction of black oak bark sufficient to wet what I design to color; to this add one pound of alum to every eight pounds of yarn, stirring until all the alum is dissolved. Then pour in the mizture of indigo till I think I have it of the shade desired. The put in the yarn as much at once as I can - let it be over the fire 25 or 30 minutes; then lift it out to air a few minutes - return it to the kettle and let it simmer three hours, stirring it frequently. I think two ounces of indigo will color 10 pounds of yarn deep green and five pounds pale green. The pale green is managed in the same way, only use a less quantity of indigo.

Ei kommentteja :